Assigned: Aphra Behn. Oroonoko, or The Royal Slave (2313-58).
b>Narrator Describes Surinam (Guiana) in South America (2313-) .</ b>
+ <>Narrator Describes Surinam (Guiana) in South America (2313-)</>
1. What truth-status does the narrator claim for her story at the outset? What expectations might such a claim generate regarding the manner and content of the tale that is about to unfold?
2. How does the narrator describe the natives of Surinam -- what are their qualities, according to her? How do the European settlers treat them, and why?
- __Oroonoko's African Homeland, Coramantien (2186-2200).__
- 3. On 21
86-8 7, how does the narrator describe the physical and intellectual character of Oroonoko? What distinguishes him from the ordinary inhabitants of Coramantien?
+ 3. On 216-8, how does the narrator describe the physical and intellectual character of Oroonoko? What distinguishes him from the ordinary inhabitants of Coramantien?
4. On 2188-91, h ow does Oroonoko meet Imoi nda, and what ca uses the qua rre l that ar ises between Oroonoko and Coramanti en 's elder ly kin g? Wha t conflicted feelings does the king him self reveal about th is quarrel?
+ hOroonoko tit as aear in rinam h
5. On 2 192- 97, what role do On ahal (the kin g's f ormer mistre ss) and Abo an (a fri en d o f Oro onoko) play as the quarre l bet we en Oroonoko and the kin g develo ps ? Wh at "m istake" doe s Or oonoko ma ke th at bri ngs matte rs to a head, and how does the king atte mp t to smooth mat ter s ove r a ft er this incident?
+ . On 2-7, what e o On n fer e and on rin o o s he rete the n os hm er a his eo a ow does he ep to th treatent?
- 6. On 2198-2200, what heroic qualities does Oroonoko display in his conduct of the war against Jamoan?
__Oroonoko 's En sla vement , Sea Vo ya ge to Surinam (2200-04).__
+ Oroonoko nament ea oae to urinam
- 7. On 2200-01, what prior dealings has Oroonoko had with the English captain who arrives soon after he returns to the court? What does the captain seem to think of his African "friend"? How does this captain manage to enslave him, and in what sense does Oroonoko make this task easy to accomplish?
8. On 2 201-0 3, how does th e English ca pt ain handle the difficul ty that ari ses when firs t th e Pri nce and the n the other Afr ica ns o n his ship re fuse t o e at? How does h e induce Oroonoko to a ssist him in de fus ing the cri si s? What mig ht a re ade r le arn about Oroon oko and his Euro pean capto r fro m this episode?
+ . On 2-0, what elatinshi de the rrao pret e wh Oroonoko at des he iiatig eeen t oon and ronoo?
- 9. On 2203-04 top, how does Oroonoko bear himself when he learns that the captain has betrayed him yet again? How does he view the captain's supposed religious convictions by this point?
__O roono ko's Ca pt ivity a s "Caesar " in Surin am (2203-16).__
+ Onos atvity a aesar in urin
- 10. On 2204-06, what happens to Oroonoko soon after he lands on Surinam's soil? How is he treated by the man who buys him (Trefry) and by his fellow Africans? How does he respond to this treatment?
11. On 2206-09, under wh at circumstances does Oroonoko me et Imoinda in Surinam? What happens be tween them, and what compl ication soon sets in with regard to Oroonoko's cur rent si tuation a s an enslaved m an wh o nonetheless commands uncommon regard from his fellows and his captors?
+ hOroonoko ebelion in urinam h
2. On 2 208- 09, what re la tion ship doe s th e narrat or appare nt ly ha ve with Oro onoko? What rol e does she play in me diatin g between t he English colonis ts and Oroonoko?
+ 1. On 2-, what eaon oe that et hae th ro? What l does he etin n t lish is
3. On 2 21- 15, wh at does the n arrator reveal about her own hi sto ry, and what per son al co ura ge does she d isplay in t he co mpany of Oroonoko dur ing his h unting ad ventur es?
+ 1. On 21-5, h does enor eal t herio, and what eron ora does he d to Oroonoko r his hnting adenturs?
- __Oroonoko's Rebellion in Surinam (2216-26).__
4. On 2 216- 18, what leads Oroonoko to decide that th e time has come t o fre e h imse lf f rom s la very ? What plan does h e det ermine upon to accom plish t his?
+ 1. On 2-, what s Oroonoko o that he has e tre hse f sary t lan does h dete upon m ts?
- 15. On 2218-21, how does Governor Byam deal with the rebellion, and how does he manage to take Oroonoko prisoner? What does he do to Oroonoko afterwards? Where is the narrator during the rebellion, and what does she do when she returns?
6. On 2 222- 25, what is Oroonoko's plan no w th at he ha s be en rec aptu red? Why does he fin d it ne cessar y t o ki ll Im oin da, and what effect does th is dr ea dful act have upon hi m af te rwa rd s?
+ 1. On 2-5, what an o th e hae recued? does n ner ti mn, and what ct does th rat e on hi fead?
- 17. On 2226, in what manner does the Governor have Oroonoko executed? How does Oroonoko bear up under this treatment, and what concluding thoughts does the narrator offer concerning the Prince's life and death?
__Edition: __ Abra ms, M. H. et al , eds. ''The Norton Anthology of English Literature .'' 8th ed. Vol. C. Ne w York : Norton , 20 06. ISBN Package 1 (Vols. ABC) 0 -393 -9 283 3-0.
+ Edition:bra, t al s. The Norton Anthology of English Literature th ed. Vol. C. erk Norton 20. ISBN1 0393930.