Comparing version 4 with version 5
@@ -Lines: 1-15 changed to +Lines: 1-15 @@
^::__E212-M WILLIAM HAZLITT QUESTIONS__::^
+ Assigned: On Gusto (513-19), My First Acquaintance with Poets (519-26).
+ __On Gusto__
- 1. How does Hazlitt initially define
+ 1. How does Hazlitt initially define gusto in art? How does he further refine his definition as the essay moves along?
2. What does Hazlitt's essay suggest about the relationship between art and criticism, and about their relative value? Does his treatment of gusto challenge the supremacy of art in relation to critical understanding of it? If so, to what extent?
- 3. What key examples does Hazlitt offer of the way in which various artists do or don't exhibit
+ 3. What key examples does Hazlitt offer of the way in which various artists do or don't exhibit gusto in their work? Does the lack of gusto necessarily make a poet or artist uninteresting? How does Hazlitt deal with those who, according to him, don't exhibit gusto in their art?
+ __My First Acquaintance with Poets__
4. What effect does Hazlitt say Samuel Taylor Coleridge had upon him as a young man? What possibilities did Coleridge open up for him?
@@ -Lines: 23-28 changed to +Lines: 23-26 @@
8. How much about himself does Hazlitt reveal, deliberately or otherwise, in this descriptive and ruminative account of a youthful meeting with two great poets?